Last Year's Scoring Schema
turned out to be too complicated. I'll see if I can work out a new one. I was proud of myself for almost finishing all the games in 2008, kind of embarrassed about 2009, and this year?
This year I'm back in school full time. More than full time. In fact, I'm supposed to be up at 0530 tomorrow and it's 0030 now. I got about four hours last night. So I honestly do not know if I'll be able to pull this off BUT I am willing to try to schedule 2 hours to do this, five days a week. If I could figure out how to do this and jog at the same time, that would be a real accomplishment.
25 games this year = 50 max hours. It won't be 50 - some game will be 10 minutes, I'm certain of it; there's always a large proportion that are only around one hour. Perhaps I'll keep track of duration this year. (I still hold that FOR COMP, a two hour game is the max enjoyable one, especially this year for myself.)
Let's think about the schema for a moment.
1. Workability/technical acceptability is still something to be considered. 0, 1, 2 is all it should be: doesn't work, sort-of works, and works fine. That's all. .exes are going to get 1, because I just don't see the point.
2. That Writing scale should be simplified. An 11 point scale? What the hell was I thinking?
3. Special Issues in IF is something that should be considered - but on an individual basis. It's rare enough. Decoupling it from the writing means it could be conceptual or using the media differently. In a new schema, I'll put this below the writing/puzzles, being the meat/potato of IF; this is 'in addition' more than a required part.
4. Puzzles, again, should be considered separately. It's still not enough to win on puzzles alone.
5. Individual game adjustment points. This is where my opinion counts, although not for more than a point or two either way.
Last year I did this gigantic mathy spreadsheet thing, and then I realized I had to add one to almost all the games to get the scores to 'fit' better. Tomorrow I have a 12 hour shift. Tomorrow is not going to be day 1. Maybe tomorrow night I'll manage a schema and set up the spreadsheet. So I'm thinking first review hopefully Sunday morning.